Sweetcorn and cottage cheese (paneer) katchori’s are lightly flavoured with peppers and fresh herbs. This savoury snack is deep fried till golden brown.
For the filling
- 1 kg frozen sweetcorn, rinsed and drained from excess water
- 1/2 green pepper, diced
- 1/2 red pepper, diced
- 3ml cumin seeds
- 2ml mustard seeds
- 2 sprigs thyme
- 2 green chillies,chopped (optional)
- 1/2 cup chopped mint leaves
- 1/2 cup fresh coriander, finely chopped
- Salt to taste
- 250g paneer, sliced into bite sized pieces (refer to paneer recipe)
Ingredients for the dough
5 cups whitecake flour
1 cup brown flour
For the filling
- In a non stick pan add in the oil. The oil should cover the base of the pan.
- Heat the oil on a medium heat setting.
- Stir in the green chillies, cumin and coriander seeds.
- Allow the mixture to simmer for 3-5 seconds.
- Stir in the peppers, sweetcorn and salt.
- Simmer the mixture until the sweetcorn has cooked through.
- Add in the mint, coriander and thyme.
- Remove the sweetcorn mixture from the stove top and stir in the paneer.
For the dough
- In a medium sized bowl, add in the white and brown flour.
- Stir in the margarine and butter.
- Mix until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs.
- Add a sufficient amount of water to form a smooth dough.
- Divide the dough into many golf sized balls.
- On a flat, floured surface roll each ball into flat disc.
- Fold each disc into a semi circular shape.
- Fill each semi circular shape with the sweetcorn filling.
- Mix 1 cup of flour with water to form a sticky paste.
- Seal the ends of the pastry with the sticky paste and twist the ends or use a fork to press the edges down firmly.
- Deep fry the sweetcorn and paneer katchories in oil till golden brown.
- Remove the Katchories from the oil and place them on a paper towel to drain excess oil.
- Serve the Katchories hot with a dipping sauce.