This is a mango dish seasoned with sweet and sour spices. This preserve is flavoured with chillies, mustard seeds, garlic slices, chilli powder and pickle masala.
- 24 peeled and diced mangoes (slightly ripe)
- ½ a bottle vinegar
- ¼ cup maizena flour
- ¾ cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons pickle masala
- 6-7 garlic cloves, peeled and sliced
- 3 green chillies, diced finely
- ½ teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon chilli powder
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- Salt to taste
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- Heat oil in a pan. Fry together slices of garlic cloves, green chillies and mustard seeds.
- Simmer the mixture until it turns a golden brown colour.
- Set the mixture aside.
- Add in the turmeric powder.
- In a large bowl, combine the cubed mango, pickle masala, salt and chilli powder.
- Combine vinegar, maizena flour and sugar together in a separate bowl.
- Mix well to form a smooth paste. Add the paste mixture to the cubed mangoes.
- Mix the pickle well. Decant the pickle into jars and refrigerate.
The shelf life of the pickle is approximately 3 months.