Cupcakes are a favourite of all ages and an eggless variety is a convenient treat for vegetarians and those abstaining. This is a basic recipe for a vanilla flavoured sponge cake that can be amended as you wish to make it into a chocolate, almond or lemon flavoured variety. Icing is optional and you can read more about our different types of icings which can be added to cakes or biscuits.
2 cups of flour
4 teaspoons of baking powder
50g of butter
50g of margarine
150ml of castor sugar
160ml of water
60ml of condensed milk
1 teaspoon of vanilla essence (optional : almond, lemon or any other essence for different flavours)
A pinch of salt
* 3 tablespoons of cocoa can be added to the flour for a chocolate flavoured cupcake.
* 1 tablespoon of lemon juice adds for a more zesty tang to a lemon flavoured cupcake.
- Cream the butter, milk, and sugar together.
- Add in the salt and essence.
- Combine the sifted flour into the mixture and whisk well. It should be thoroughly mixed for an even consistency and it may be easier to add the flour in slowly while mixing to achieve the desired consistency.
- Pour into a greased ovenproof muffin tray and bake on 180 degrees for 2o minutes.
- Ice and decorate the cupcakes when cooled.
Read more on icing for cakes and biscuits if you want to add a butter, royal or pour-over icing on your cupcakes.