Minced chicken combined with fresh ingredients and spices is formed into savoury meat balls called kebabs. The kebabs are deep fried or oven baked for a healthier option. This versatile spicy dish can be served as a main dish or a side accompaniment.
- 500g chicken minced
- 1 onion
- 2 green chillies, chopped
- 2 sprigs spring onion, sliced
- 2 sprigs fresh coriander, chopped
- 7 mint leaves, chopped
- 2 slices of white bread
- 1 egg
- Salt to taste
- ½ teaspoon chilli powder
- 2ml turmeric powder
- ½ teaspoon mixed coriander and cumin powder
- 2 teaspoons mixed curry powder
- Oil for deep frying
- Rinse and thoroughly drain out the minced chicken in a colander. Place the drained chicken mince into a bowl.
- Add the diced onion, green chilli, spring onion, freshly chopped coriander and mint. Mix well to ensure an even distribution of all the ingredients.
- Place the 2 slices of white bread into a blender to form fine breadcrumbs. Stir the breadcrumbs into the chicken mixture and mix well.
- Add a well beaten egg to this mixture.
- Add in the salt, chilli powder, turmeric powder, curry powder, mixed coriander and cumin powder. Mix well.
- Mould the mixture to form 24 small sized round balls. The mixture may stick to the palms of your hands. To prevent this from occurring, lightly grease the palms with a few drops of oil.
- Refrigerate the mince kebabs for an hour. This allows the balls to become firm, preventing them from breaking in the oil during the frying process.
- Deep fry the kebabs in oil until they have turned a golden brown colour. Drain them onto a kitchen paper to remove excess oil.
- Alternatively, place each kebab on a well greased oven tray and drizzle the tops with a little oil. Bake the chicken kebabs at 180 celsius for approximately 40 minutes until done.
Serve the kebabs with fresh potato chips, a dip or place them in a roti roll and serve them with salad. These kebabs can also be served as a main dish when cooked in a savoury tomato chutney.