A simple rice dish flavoured with bayleaf and cinnamon. The dish is combined with fresh vegetables saute’d in butter. The savoury rice dish is a perfect accompaniment to curries, chutney’s and roasts.
- 250g Basmati rice
- 3 cups water
- Salt to taste
- 4-5 drops yellow food colouring
- 1/2 carrot, cubed
- 1/4 cup peas
- 1/4 cup sweetcorn
- 3 green beans, cut into small pieces
- 1/2 tablespoon of butter or margarine
- 2 mushrooms, roughly sliced
- 1/4 onion, finely sliced
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 bayleaf
- In a large pot, add water and rice and place onto the stove top on a medium heat setting.
- Once the water and rice as reached boiling point, thoroughly rinse the rice until the water turns clear.
- Return the pot of water and rice to the stove top.
- Stir in the cinnamon stick, bayleaf and all the vegetables except the mushrooms and onion.
- Add in the salt.
- In a separate non stick pan, add in the butter or margarine and allow it to melt.
- Add in the onion and allow it to simmer for a few minutes.
- Stir in the sliced mushrooms and saute’ until fried through.
- When the rice is soft to the touch but firm, drain out the water.
- Stir in the onion and mushroom mixture.
- Add a few drops of food colouring and mix well.
- Some of the rice grains will turn red, orange or yellow whilst some will retain its white colour.