Savoury mince flavoured with fresh onions, coriander, mint and spices is stuffed into pastry casing (Katchories). The Katchories are deep fried till golden brown.
For the dough
- 5 cups plain white flour
- 1 cup brown flour
- 250g margarine or butter
- Cold water
For the filling
- 500g lamb mince, rinsed and drained from excess water
- 1 1/2 onions, finely diced
- 1 cup coriander, chopped
- 1/2 a cup mint leaves, finely chopped
- 4 heaped teaspoons of ginger and garlic paste
- 3-4 green chillies, finely diced
- 1 bayleaf
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 black cardamom
- 2 sprigs curry leaf
- 2 sprigs spring onion, finely chopped
- Salt to taste
For the stuffing
- In a large non stick pan add enough oil to cover the base of the pan.
- Heat the oil on a medium heat setting.
- Stir in 1/2 of the diced onion, 1 sprig of curry leaf, 1 sprig of spring onion, bayleaf, cinnamon stick and black cardamom.
- Simmer the mixture until the onions have turned a golden brown color.
- Stir in 2 green chilies, 1/2 the quantity of chopped mint, ginger and garlic paste.
- Simmer for a few seconds.
- Add in the mince, curry leaf, spring onion and salt.
- Allow the mince to cook through until brown.
- Remove the mince mixture from the stove top.
- Stir in the remainder of the chopped onion, mint,green chilies and coriander.
- Mix well to ensure that the ingredients are evenly distributed.
For the dough
- In a large bowl combine the white flour and brown flour together.
- Add in the butter or margarine.
- Mix the ingredients well until it forms a breadcrumb texture.
- Stir in enough water to form a soft dough.
- Roll the dough into many medium sized discs.
- Fold 1/2 of the disc over to form a semi circular shape.
- Add in the filling.
- Twist and seal the ends of the pastry.
- To form the seal mixture for the pastry, mix 1/2 a cup of flour and enough water to form a sticky paste.
- Deep fry the mince Katchori in oil till golden brown.