Puri is a popular Indian pastry-like flat bread that is more often served at special occasions, as part of a savoury snack like patha and puri
- 500ml flour
- 5ml salt
- 5ml sugar
- 1 ½ teaspoons butter
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 160ml luke warm water or milk
- Oil for deep frying
- Sift dry ingredients together.
- Add in the butter and mix well.
- Stir in water/milk into the flour mixture to form a soft and smooth dough.
- Knead the dough well.
- Break off portions of the dough and roll into ball shapes.
- Sprinkle a little flour on each ball and roll out into small disc.
- Deep fry each puri in hot oil. Approximately 10 seconds on each side.
- The puri should remain white in colour.