A lightly seasoned soup comprising of fresh pumpkin cubes and herbs. The pumkin soup is sauted in butter and flavoured in parsley and fresh cream
- 1/4 pumpkin, peeled and cut into cubes
- 1/2 cup freshly chopped parsley
- 100g butter or margarine
- Salt to taste
- Fresh cream
- 8 slices of bread
- Additional butter
- Heat a large pot of water over the stove top on a medium heat setting.
- Stir the cubes of pumpkin into the pot once the water has reached a boiling point.
- Allow the pumpkin to steam until soft.
- In a non stick frying pan add 1/2 the quantity of butter or margarine.
- When the butter or margarine has melted stir in the steamed cubes of pumpkin.
- Allow the pumpkin to simmer until it turns a slight brown color. Using a fork, mash the pumpkin cubes into a pulp texture.
- Add in the parsley, salt and the remainder of the butter or margarine.
- Mix the pumpkin well.
- Stir in enough fresh cream to form a soup like consistency.
- Allow the pumpkin and parsley soup to simmer for 2-3 minutes.
- Remove the soup from the stove top and set it aside.
- Remove the crust off 8 slices of bread.
- Butter the slices of bread on both sides.
- Cut each bread slice into bite sized cubes.
- Place the bread cubes onto a greased oven proof tray and bake in a preheated oven on 180 degrees for 10-15 minutes or until golden brown.
- Serve the croutons on the side with the pumpkin and parsley soup.