Traditional Indian flat bread filled with paneer (Indian cottage cheese). The paratha is delicately seasoned with green chillies and spring onions to bring out the fresh flavours.
- 1/2 cup paneer,grated (to make paneer see paneer recipe)
- Salt to taste
- 3/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/4 cup flour
- 5ml clarified butter (ghee) or margarine
- 2 sprigs chives, finely chopped
- 2 green chillies, sliced finely
- Boiling water
- Additional butter or margarine
- In a large bowl combine together the whole wheat flour and plain flour.
- Add in the ghee or margarine.
- Mix the ingredients well to form bread crumbs.
- Stir in enough boiling water to form a soft dough.
- If the dough becomes sticky a little water can be added.
- In a bowl add in the paneer, chopped chillies, chives and salt to taste.
- Divide the dough into golf ball sized portions.
- Flatten each ball of dough and add a spoonful of the paneer mixture.
- Gather the dough to form a ball.
- Roll each paneer filled ball into into a circle to form a paratha (flat bread).
- Toast each paratha on a non stick pan or tava.
- Smear a little butter or margarine on both sides of the paratha
- Toast until both sides of the paratha are golden brown.
- Serve the paratha as accompaniments with curries or chutney’s. The paneer paratha can also be served as a starter or a savoury snack.