Prawns marinated in fresh traditional Indian spices are infused with the flavours of Italian herbs and garlic. The masala prawns are oven grilled till golden brown.
- 1kg prawns, cleaned, rinsed with the shell on.
- 1 1/2 tablespoons garlic paste
- 1 tablespoon of dried Italian herbs (shop purchased)
- 50g butter or margarine
- Chilli powder
- Salt to taste
- 3ml turmeric powder
- 5ml mixed coriander and cumin powder
- Cut each prawn lengthwise but not all the way through.
- The prawn should resemble a butterfly shape when opened out flat.
- Drain excess water from the prawns and place the cleaned prawns on a large plate or tray with the shell side facing down.
- Add a sprinkling of salt on the surface of each prawn. Ensure that the entire surface is seasoned with salt.
- In a glass bowl combine the garlic paste, butter or margarine.
- Place the butter mixture in the microwave on a high heat setting for 30-40 seconds or until the butter has melted.
- Stir the Italian herbs into the butter mixture.
- Brush the surface of each prawn with the butter, garlic and herb mixture.
- Add an even sprinkling of chili powder, coriander and cumin powder on the surface of each prawn.
- Place the prawns into a large bowl.
- Stir in the turmeric powder and toss well to ensure an even coating of spices.
- Place the prawns (shell side facing down) on an oven proof tray.
- Grill the prawns on 180 degrees for 12-15 minutes or until the prawns have turned a golden brown color.
- Cooking time might vary according to the make or model of the oven.
- Do not over cook the prawns as they will become dry.
Serve the prawns on a bed of lettuce leaves as a side dish or as a starter.