Naan khatai / katai is a traditional Indian biscuit that is popular at Diwali time.
500ml ghee (room temperature)
250g of flour
1ml of nutmeg powder
5ml bicarbonate of soda
375ml of castor sugar
10ml cardamom powder [elachi]
Almonds to place on top of each biscuit
- Beat together the ghee and sugar till light and fluffy.
- The longer the mixture is stirred, the lighter the texture.
- Stir in the semolina and oil and beat well for approximately 1 minute.
- Add in the dry ingredients and mix well to form a soft dough.
- Break off small portions and shape into balls.
- Place an almond on the top of each biscuit.
- Bake in a greased tray on 180 degrees for15 to 20 minutes.