Layer’s of mushroom, peppers and haloumi cheese on a bed of rocket leaves placed on rye bread. This healthy vegetarian dish is a light meal that can be served as a starter or a main meal.
- 4 slices thickly sliced rye bread
- 4 square slices haloumi cheese (about the size of a palm)
- 1 cup rocket leaves, rinsed (lettuce can be used as a substitute)
- 1 cup button mushrooms,thickly sliced
- 4 brown mushroom, washed and dried
- Mayonaise or trim spread
- 1 tablespoon butter or margarine
- ¼ teaspoon dried mixed herbs ( shop purchased, in a bottle)
- 1/4 garlic clove,grated
- Freshly ground black pepper
- ½ green pepper,roughly sliced
- Add the butter or margarine in a pan and allow it to melt.
- Stir in the dried herbs and grated garlic.
- Simmer for 20 seconds.
- Stir in the peppers and chopped button mushroom.
- Allow it to fry until it turns a golden brown colour.
- Remove the fried mushrooms and pepper’s from the stove top and allow it to cool.
- In the same pan simmer the brown mushroom whole.
- Additional butter can be added if the surface of the pan tends to dry out.
- Simmer the mushrooms until it is cooked through and set it aside.
- On a plate, place a slice of rye bread.
- Lightly spread the Mayonaise or Trim on the surface of the bread and add freshly ground black pepper.
- Add the rocket leaves, ensure that the leaves cover the surface of the rye bread.
- Cut the brown mushroom into halves and places 4 pieces onto the rocket leaves.
- Layer the slices of haloumi cheese onto the mushroom and rocket leaves.
- Place the fried pepper and button mushroom over the the haloumi cheese.
- Repeat steps 10 to 15 for the remainder slices of rye bread.