Originated in India, Mealie roti is made from crushed mealie flour (corn flour). The roti is an accompaniment to curries and chutney’s.
- 1 cup mealie flour
- Salt to taste
- 2 cups water
- Place a pot on the stove top on a medium heat setting.
- Stir in the water and salt.
- Add in the mealie flour.
- Allow the mixture to boil.
- Do not stir the mixture.
- The water will absorb the flour.
- Once the water has completely absorbed stir the mixture and remove it from the stove top.
- Mix the mixture with a spoon immediately, do not allow it to cool.
- Additional water can be used to pat the surface of the dough. Do not pour the water.
- Add flour to the mixture and knead well.
- Do not add too much of flour as an excessive amount of flour can cause the dough to become sticky.
- Break off golf ball sized portions of the dough.
- Roll each dough portion into flat disc’s.
- Place the dough disc’s on a hot griddle or tava.
- Toast each side smearing a little butter or margarine until golden brown. Serve hot with curries or chutneys.