Mealie bread is a savoury snack or an accompaniment to main meals. Seasoned with green chilli, the mealie bread is steamed on a stove top till firm and cooked through.
- 4 mealies or corn (2 mealies grated and 2 sliced off the cob)
- 1 cup mealie or maize flour
- 2 teaspoons butter or margarine
- Milk to form a thick batter
- Salt to taste
- 2-3 green chillies, finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- The leaves of the mealies, washed and dried
- In a large mixing bowl, combine together the maize flour,grated and sliced mealies.
- Stir in the butter or margarine and mix until the mixture resembles bread crumbs.
- Add in enough milk to form a very thick paste like batter.
- Stir in the salt, chilies and sugar.
- On each mealie leaf, add enough of the mixture to cover half of the leaf.
- Fold the leaf in half. Continue until all the mixture is used.
- In a large pot, place the cob of each mealies at the base.
- Add enough water to cover the cobs.
- Place a flat grater over the mealie cobs.
- Add the mealie filled leaves over the grater and steam on the stove top for 45 minutes.
- Serve hot as a snack or as a side dish.
- Finely chopped onion, spring onion, tomato or fresh pepper can be added to create a variety of flavour.
- The mixture can be placed in a pot and steamed to form a Mealie cake.