A pungently flavoured mango preserve seasoned with authentic Indian spices. The mango is immersed in a spicy vinegar mixture containing chilli powder, garlic cloves, pickle masala, turmeric powder, cumin and jeera powder.
- 20 green mangoes, sliced into quarters
- 7-8 finely chopped green chillies
- 100g pickle masala
- ½ teaspoon turmeric powder
- 3 tablespoons chilli powder
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- Rough salt to taste
- 1 teaspoon cumin and coriander powder
- 5 garlic cloves, sliced
- 1 ½ teaspoons ginger and garlic paste
- ½ bottle vinegar
- Combine the mangoes and rough salt together
- Allow the salt to dissolve completely
- Place the mangoes on absorbent paper and allow the mangoes to dry in the sun.
- This allows for any excess moisture to drain out.
- The mangoes should appear dry and would have shrug a little.
- The drying process can take up to 1-2 days depending on the intensity of the sun.
- Add pickle masala, turmeric powder, chilli powder, sugar, cumin and coriander powder.
- Mix well. Stir in the vinegar, garlic slices, ginger and garlic paste..
- Stir in the green chillies and mix well.
Decant into jars. The shelf life of the pickle is approximately 2 to 3 months in the refrigerator