A versatile dish that can be served as a main dish or a side accompaniment with main meals. The rich and delicate flavours of the cheeses complements the taste of the macaroni
- 1 cup milk
- ½ cup cream
- 500g macaroni
- Salt to taste
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 cup gouda cheese, grated
- 1 cup mozarella cheese, grated
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 Tablespoon butter
- 1 teaspoon onion, grated
- 1 teaspoon green pepper, grated
- Prepare the macaroni according to the directions instructed on the packet.
- In a pan heat the butter and simmer the onion, pepper together.
- In a separate bowl, combine flour, milk and ½ a cup of grated cheese.
- Allow the onions to turn a transparent colour before adding in the flour mixture.
- Stir constantly to prevent the sauce from sticking to the base of the pan.
- Stir in the cream and salt.
- The cheese should be completely melted to form a smooth sauce
- Add in the cooked macaroni and mix well to ensure that the sauce has completely coated the macaroni
- Place the macaroni and sauce mixture into an oven proof dish.
- Sprinkle the remainder of the cheeses and bake in a hot oven on 180 degrees for 10 minutes or until the cheese has melted completely.