A light textured egg free sponge cake flavoured with lemon.
- 3 cups white flour
- 6 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup sour milk
- 2 cups castor sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 1 teaspoon lemon essence
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- 1 1/2 cup full cream milk
- In a food processor, combine the oil, sour milk, vanilla essence, lemon essence and lemon zest together.
- Add in the sugar and whisk until it has completely dissolved.
- Stir flour and baking powder into the cake mixture.
- Add in the milk and mix until a smooth even cake mixture is formed.
- Pour the lemon cake mixture into an already prepared lined and greased baking tray.
- Bake the cake for an hour on 180 degrees.
- Baking time may vary according to the make and type of oven used.
- Insert a clean knife into the middle of the cake and gently withdraw it. If there is no liquid residue (batter) on the knife then the cake is done. Otherwise the cake can be baked for a further 15 minutes.
- Allow the cake to cool completely before dusting icing sugar over it.
- Alternatively the cake can be iced with a lemon butter cream icing. Refer to icing for cakes and follow the directions under butter icing with a citrus/lemon flavour.