Lady finger fry or bhindi fry is a mildly seasoned vegetarian Indian dish. This dish infuses the taste of onions, cumin and mustard.
- 1kg lady finger (bhindi), washed and pat dried
- ½ onion, grated
- Salt to taste
- ½ teaspoon sugar
- 2ml cumin seeds
- 1ml mustard seeds
- Cut the lady finger (bhindi) into medium sized slices.
- Heat the oil in a skillet. Add in half the quantity of onions, cumin and mustard seeds.
- Simmer until the onions become transparent.
- Add in the lady finger (bhindi) and allow it to fry for a minute.
- Add the remainder of the onion, salt and sugar.
- Cook for a further 2-3 minutes until the onions are soft.
Serve the lady finger (bhindi) hot as a side accompaniment with main dishes.
Cooking the lady finger (bhindi) fry should take 8-11 minutes, depending on the heat of the stove.