Jack fruit slices are dip into a chilli bite batter and deep fried until golden brown and crisp. This savoury Indian snack combines the flavours of fresh herbs and spices.
- 500g of shop purchased chilli bite powder mix
- Water, enough to form a thick batter
- 1/2 an onion, finely diced
- 1/4 cup flour
- 2 green chillies, finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon of ginger and garlic paste
- 5 slices jack fruit (peeled, rinsed and cut into large bite size chunks)
- Oil for deep frying
- Place a large pot of water onto the stove top on a medium heat setting.
- Add the rinsed jack fruit chunks into the hot water and allow it to steam until soft but still tender.
- Remove the jack fruit from the stove top and drain out the excess water. Set the steamed jack fruit aside.
- In a medium size dish combine the chilli bite mix,onions, green chilies, ginger and garlic together. Mix well.
- Stir in a little water, enough to form a thick batter. Excess oil is held in the chili bites if the batter is thin.
- Add oil into a sauce pan and place it onto the stove top on a medium heat setting.
- Place each jack fruit chunk into flour and coat it evenly.
- Dip the flour coated jack fruit chunks into the chili bite mix and fry until golden brown.
- Place the fried jack fruit chilli bites onto an absorbent serviette paper to drain out the excess oil.
- Serve the jack fruit chilli bites hot.