Hyderabad curried lamb is an aromatic savoury lamb curry in an onion and tomato based gravy. This Hyderabadi dish is well balanced with spices and fresh ingredients. It is usually served hot with a side accompaniment of Indian breads or basmati rice.
- 500g lamb
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 aniseed
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1ml of mustard seeds
- 1ml of cumin seeds
- 1ml of fennel seeds
- 1 onion, grated
- 3 teaspoons curry powder or masala
- 2ml turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon chilli powder
- ½ teaspoon mixed cumin and coriander powder
- ½ teaspoon garam masala
- Salt to taste
- Oil (enough to cover the base of the pot)
- 1 ½ teaspoons ginger and garlic paste
- 550ml water
- 1 tomato, grated
- 1 green chilli
- 1 sprig curry leaf
- Freshly chopped coriander for garnishing
- Rinse and trim the lamb into cube sized pieces.
- In a large pan heat the oil. Add in the bay leaf, mustard seeds, fennel seeds, cumin seeds, cinnamon stick and aniseed.
- Stir in ½ the quantity of onions and simmer till the onions begin to brown slightly.
- Add in the chilli powder, cumin and coriander powder, turmeric powder and curry powder. Allow the mixture to simmer.
- Stir in the salt and the ginger and garlic paste.
- Increase the intensity of heat on the stove top. Add in the water and mix well.
- Combine the cubed lamb pieces into the mixture. Stir well to ensure that the lamb is well coated with the mixture.
- Add the garam masala powder.
- Stir in the grated tomato and the sprig of curry leaf. Reduce the heat of the stove. Cover and cook for 15 minutes.
- Stir the curry and cook for a further 20 minutes on medium heat.
- Remove the curry from the stove top and garnish with coriander and an additional slit green chilli.
Portion size: Serves 4