Flaky pastry squares are oven baked and sandwiched together with vanilla flavored butter cream. The tops of each pastry square is decorated with a mixture of sugar and freshly sliced hazelnuts.
- 1 kg defrosted ready made puff pastry (shop purchased)
- 1 cup finely chopped hazelnuts
- 1/2 cup sugar
For the icing
- 50g butter or margarine
- 3 teaspoons vanilla essence
- 1 cup icing sugar
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees.
- Unroll the defrosted puff pastry onto a flat, floured surface.
- In a bowl, combine the sugar and hazelnuts together.
- Sprinkle the hazelnut and sugar mixture generously on the entire surface of the pastry.
- Ensure that the mixture is evenly dispersed.
- Lightly flatten the sugar and hazelnut mixture to prevent it from falling when cut.
- Cut the pastry into 5cm squares and place on a greased oven proof tray.
- Bake the hazelnut pastry squares for 8-10 minutes or until puffed and golden brown underneath.
- Remove the baked pastry from the oven and set it aside.
- In a medium sized bowl add in the butter or margarine.
- Stir in the icing sugar and mix until the mixture resembles a creamy consistency.
- Add in the vanilla essence and mix well.
- If the butter icing tastes a little buttery, additional icing sugar can be added.
- The icing should not be over sweet and should have a good balance of the vanilla flavour.
- Using a sharp knife, carefully separate the pastry squares in the middle. The pastry should have a top half and a bottom half.
- Place 1/2 a teaspoon of the vanilla flavoured icing on the bottom half of each pastry square.
- Careful sandwich the top’s of each pastry onto the bottom half of the pastry square.