Ingredients for gulab jamun
625ml of flour
5ml of cardamom (elachi) powder
60ml of ghee
12½ teaspoons of baking powder
1 tin of condensed milk
Ghee for deep frying
Ingredients for syrup
500ml of water
250g of sugar
5ml of rose essence
Method for the gulab jamun
- Sift all the dry ingredients together.
- Add in the ghee and mix well until the mixture resembles bread crumbs.
- Gradually stir in the milk to form a soft dough.
- Roll the dough into many elongated finger-like shapes.
- Deep fry in ghee until golden brown in colour.
- Place directly into syrup for a few minutes.
- Drain onto a wire rack.
Optional: Roll the gulab jamoon’s into dessicated coconut or sugar.
Method for syrup
Boil the water and sugar together until a sticky consistency is reached. Stir in the rose essence and keep the syrup warm.
This recipe has been submitted by a reader. If you wish to submit your own recipe, please email us. The prepared dish may not resemble the inset picture.