Garum Masala is a traditional Indian blend of cumin seeds, black pepper corns, cardamom pods, coriander seeds, cloves and cinnamon sticks. These whole spices are oven roasted and ground into a powder. Garum Masala is commonly used in Indian cooking.
- 5 sticks of cinnamon
- 100g cardamom pods
- 50g cloves
- 25g cumin seeds
- 25g coriander seeds
- 100g black pepper corns
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees.
- Place the whole spices on an oven proof tray and roast for 30 minutes.
- Do not allow the spices to brown.
- Remove the spices from the oven and set it aside.
- Break the shell of each cardamom pod and discard it.
- Set the seeds of the cardamom pod aside.
- Break the cinnamon sticks into smaller pieces.
- Place the whole spices into a blender and grind until a powder is formed.
- Decant the garum masala into an air tight container.
- The garum masala can be stored in the freezer for 5-6 months.