Gram dhall and brinjal is a uniquely flavoured vegetarian curried dish seasoned with Indian spices. This lentil dish is a tomato and onion based dish.
- 1 cup gram dhall
- 1/2 onion, sliced
- 2 teaspoon curry powder
- 1 teaspoon chilli powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin (jeera) powder
- 1/2 teaspoon coriander (dhania) powder
- 3ml turmeric powder
- 1 green chilli, cut lengthwise
- Salt to taste
- 1 brinjal, medium sized
- 1/2 tomato, grated
- 1 sprig curry leaf
- 1/2 teaspoon ginger and garlic paste
- 5 tablespoons oil
- 1/2 teaspoon each of chilli powder, cumin and coriander powder.
- 2 tablespoon oil
- Fresh coriander for garnishing
- Add the gram dhall into a pot of water and bring it to a boil.
- Rinse the gram dhall under cold water and return to the stove top.
- Steam the gram dhall until it is firm but soft, drain and set it aside.
- Slice the brinjal into large pieces and place into a bowl of salt water for a few minutes.
- Heat oil in a pot on a medium heat setting.
- Stir in the onions, green chilli and curry leaf.
- When the onions turn a translucent colour, stir in the curry powder, cumin powder, chilli powder, turmeric and coriander powder.
- Simmer the onion mixture for a few seconds then add in the ginger and garlic paste.
- Stir in the gram dhall and mix well to ensure an even coating of spices.
- Add salt to taste.
- Stir in the brinjal and tomato.
- Reduce the heat setting and allow the curry to cook for 15 minutes.
- A little water can be added if the curry holds to the base of the pot.
- The tomato would have formed a thick gravy.
- In a separate pot stir in the additional oil, and spices (chilli, cumin and coriander powder) and allow it to simmer.
- Pour the simmered mixture over the gram dhall and brinjal curry.
- Garnish the curry with freshly chopped coriander.