Bread dipped in a sweet egg batter and garnished with a cinnamon and sugar topping. This pudding is oven baked and served with fresh fruit or cream.
- 1 loaf of bread, diced
- 8 Eggs
- 2 Cups cream
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons vanilla extract
For the topping:
- 1/2 Cup flour
- 1/2 Cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon powder
- Pinch of salt
- 2ml Nutmeg powder
- 50g Butter or Margarine, chilled
- In a bowl whisk the eggs till light and frothy.
- Stir in the sugar and mix well to ensure that the sugar has dissolved.
- Add in the vanilla extract, cream and milk.
- Pour the mixture over the diced bread.
- Cover the bread mixture for an hour to allow the bread to absorb the liquid ingredients. For best results the bread mixture should be refrigerated overnight.
- To prepare the cinnamon topping combine all the ingredients together to form a rough texture.
- Keep the mixture refrigerated. After an hour sprinkle the cinnamon topping over the bread mixture and bake for an hour on 200 degrees.
- For a firmer crisper texture bake the pudding for 1 1/2 hours.
- Serve the French toast pudding with syrup or fresh fruit.