Eggplant or Brinjal chilli bite is lightly seasoned with fresh herbs and spices. This savoury dish can be served as a starter or a snack.
- 1 large sized eggplant or brinjal
- 1 cup chilli bite mix (shop purchased)
- ½ teaspoon of mixed ginger and garlic paste
- 1 dried red chilli, finely sliced
- 1 sprig spring onion, finely chopped
- ½ cup gram flour
- Oil for deep frying
- Wash the eggplant or brinjal in water and slice thickly.
- Place the slices into salt water (enough water to cover the eggplant or brinjal) for a minute.
- Remove the slices from the water and pat dry using a kitchen towel.
- In a large plate add the gram flour.
- Place the slices of eggplant or brinjal into in the gram flour. Ensure that each slice is evenly coated with the flour. This ensures that the batter will stick to the slices of eggplant or brinjal.
- In a medium sized bowl combine the chilli bite mix, dried chilli, spring onion, salt to taste, ginger and garlic paste.
- Stir in a little water, enough to form a thick batter.
- The batter should resemble the consistency of whipped cream.
- Heat oil in a wok or a deep pan on a medium heat setting.
- Place a drop of batter in the oil, if the batter bubbles and rise to the top, the oil is ready.
- Dip each eggplant or brinjal slice into the batter and place in the oil.
- Allow the eggplant slices to fry on one side for a few minutes before turning the slices over.
- Each slice should be a golden brown colour.
- Remove the slices from the oil and place on a kitchen towel (paper towel) to drain off excess oil.
- Serve the brinjal or eggplant hot with a side serving of chilli sauce.