Unsalted butter reduced on the stove top to form traditional Indian clarified butter called Ghee. Ghee is used in Indian cooking for both savoury and sweet dishes.
- 500g unsalted butter
- Divide the butter into 4 pieces.
- Place the sliced pieces of butter into a large sauce pan.
- Heat the butter on the stove top over a moderate heat setting.
- Using a spoon, carefully stir the butter until it melts evenly and slowly.
- Do not allow the butter to brown during the melting process.
- Increase the heat setting. Allow the butter to boil.
- A white foam should form over the surface of t the butter.
- Remove the butter from the stove top and allow it to rest for a few minutes.
- Skim off the foam from the pan.
- Spoon the clear liquid (butter) into a bowl.
- Discard the milky solids at the bottom of the pan.
- Do not leave any milk solid particles in the clear butter liquid as it will rancid later.
- Decant the ghee in an air tight container and refrigerate until required.