A well seasoned chicken spring roll recipe incorporating fresh vegetables. This pastry filled roll is perfect for a snack or as a starter.
- 500g lean chicken, cut into short strips
- 1 teaspoon mixed masala
- ½ teaspoon chilli powder
- ¼ teaspoon mixed cumin and coriander powder
- 3mls turmeric powder
- 1 tablespoon oyster sauce
- ½ tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- Salt to taste
- 1 cup cabbage, shredded
- 2 carrots, peeled and sliced finely
- 1 sprig of spring onions, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon mixed ginger and garlic paste
- 3 tablespoons oil
- Spring roll pastry (samoosa pastry is better as it doesn’t hold any oil)
- Oil for deep frying
- 3 tablespoons lentil sprouts
- 1 tablespoon of flour mixed with a little water to form a paste
- Combine the chicken, salt, ginger and garlic paste together in a bowl.
- Add chili powder, masala (curry powder), cumin and coriander powder.
- Mix well to ensure an even distribution of seasoning.
- Heat oil in a pan and stir the marinated chicken.
- Cook until the chicken is a done.
- Stir in the shredded cabbage, carrot, lentil sprouts.
- Add the oyster sauce, soy sauce and sugar.
- Mix well to ensure that mixture is evenly coated with the spices.
- Remove from heat and allow the mixture to cool.
- Spoon a little of the mixture into the pastry, roll the pastry lengthwise to form elongated finger like shapes.
- Ensure that the ends are tucked in. Seal the edges with the paste.
- Deep fry until golden brown.
Chicken can be substitute for any other meat variety’s or soya products