Braaid (barbecue) bread roll is lightly seasoned. This versatile bread roll can be baked on the braai stand or oven.
- 1 ½ cups white or refined flour
- 5ml sugar
- 5ml salt
- 150ml warm water
- 30ml vegetable oil
- 10g instant yeast
- In a cup, combine sugar and yeast together.
- Stir in a little water (enough to form a thin paste like consistence).
- In approximately 2-3 minutes the mixture will turn into a foamy texture. Set the sugar and yeast mixture aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, add the salt and flour.
- Stir in the oil and mix well.
- Combine water to the flour mixture to form a dough.
- Pour over the yeast and sugar mixture from the cup.
- Mix to combine the ingredients together.
- Additional flour maybe needed if the dough appears too sticky.
- Leave the dough in the bowl and cover with a damp tea towel for 1 hour.
- After an hour divide the dough into 12 even pieces and mould into flatten ball like shapes.
- Place the dough balls onto a greased tray (the throw away foil trays or a piece of foil made into a tray shape are perfect to prevent the spoiling of the oven trays) and cover the tray with cling wrap.
- Set the balls of dough aside for an additional 15 minutes.
- Remove the cling wrap from the tray and braai the rolls on the braai for 30-40 minutes or until cooked through depending on the heat of the coals in the braai stand.
Optional: For quick results and time convenience the bread can be baked in the oven on 180 degrees for 20 minutes