Ingredients for the pastry
1 cup of flour
½ a teaspoon of rose essence
Oil for deep frying
1 tablespoon of pure butter
1½ teaspoons of baking powder
Approximately ½ cup of water
Melted butter for basting
Cornflour for sprinkling
Ingredients for the syrup
250ml of sugar
Method for the Banana Puri
- Combine sifted flour with baking powder in a bowl.
- Add in the butter and mix well.
- Stir in the water and rose essence.
- Mix well to form a soft dough.
- Divide the dough into 5 equal portions.
- Roll each portion into a 20 centimetre (diameter) circle.
- Brush the circle with melted butter and a sprinkling of cornflour.
- Continue layering each circle in this way. The last circle should have an application of butter or corn flour.
- Roll out the stacked pastry circles into a large circle of approximately 30cm in diameter.
- Brush the pastry circle with butter and roll into as is done with a swiss roll.
- Seal the edges of the pastry.
- Cut into approximately 2 centimeter thick slices.
- Roll each slice to lengthen it slightly.
- Deep fry the pastry slices until it puffs up. Do not fry until brown as the pastry should stay a creamy white colour.
- Drain the slices on absorbent paper towel.
- Dredge each slice in the sugar syrup and set aside on a wire rack.
Method for syrup
Boil together the sugar and water until the sugar completely dissolves. The mixture will begin to thicken. Remove the syrup from the heat and keep warm
This recipe has been submitted by a reader. If you wish to submit your own recipe, please email us. The prepared dish may not resemble the inset picture.