Traditional sponge cake flavoured with fresh banana’s, pecan nuts and vanilla, oven baked till golden brown.
- 150g butter or margarine
- 2 eggs
- 2 banana’s, mashed
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 3 tablespoons or 45ml of milk
- 1/2 cup chopped pecan nuts
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
For the icing
100g butter or margarine
1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the butter or margarine and sugar.
- Mix well.
- Stir in the eggs and beat well to ensure an even texture.
- Add in the mashed bananas.
- Whisk well.
- In a cup, add in the bicarbonate of soda and milk.
- Stir well to ensure that the bicarbonate of soda has dissolved in the milk.
- Sift in the dry ingredients.
- Mix well.
- Add in the vanilla essence and pecan nuts.
- Place the cake mixture into a greased oven tray lined with a baking sheet and bake for 50-60 minutes on 180 degrees.
- In a bowl add the butter or margarine and icing sugar.
- Mix the mixture well. Additional icing sugar can be added to give a creamy texture.
- Stir in the vanilla essence.
- Taste the icing. If the taste appears buttery, Add more icing sugar.
- Mix well. The icing should have a sweet vanilla taste.
- When the cake is baked ,remove from the oven and allow it to cool.
- Place the icing evenly on the surface of the cake using a butter knife.